Saturday, June 16, 2018

Three Weeks Before Departure

Busy! I have an intense schedule. I live in the borough of Islington near the Angel tube station.

Monday – 8am – 11am class with CEA in Russel Square

Tuesday – OFF but Wednesdays the maids come in to clean and we have to have everything stripped Wednesday morning before we leave. My flat mates and I (I lucked out with them!) We cleaned off all surfaces Tuesday night and stripped everything but our beds.

Wednesday – Wednesday morning I’d have to get up a half hour early so I could strip my pillows, bed, and duvet cover off for the maids to replace. If I was vigilant on Tuesday nights, I could just grab my things and go after this. I had a 9am class at LSBU near the Elephant & Castle tube station in south London. I would race home to eat breakfast around noon/1 and then head to CEA school for photography class in Russel square at 3pm.

Thursday – OFF (my flatmates had Fridays off but I didn’t so they often left to travel on Thursdays and I had to wait until after class the next day to leave).

Friday – 9am class at LSBU until noon.

Weekends were off. I often left after classes on Fridays to travel once I had been in London for more than a month and knew my schedule and limits.

Things I have noticed about London.

1.       Not a lot of Americans travel in London. This city is incredibly diverse but Americans must be scarce because they think nothing of Australians, Mexicans, or any other Europeans but were shocked to hear an American accent.

2.       Lingo! There are so many differences that are just similar enough to confuse. A caravan is a 5th wheel. A tank top is a vest and a vest is a waistcoat. We call vests waistcoats only when worn during weddings, right? So many random harmless (kind of fun) misunderstandings. Puddings are any desserts and they don’t have pudding.

3.       Things I’m missing. Cream cheese, yogurt (they have yoghurt that is all greek..nothing sweet), jello, white granulated sugar, cottage cheese, Walmart (easy access catch all for items you may ever need), and cucumbers (they have English ones and pickles for the same reason).

4.       Things I love: Camembert cheese, teaTeaTEA, clotted cream, and can we talk about black currants for a moment. History lesson about the states: We previously thought that black currants had a fungus that would destroy trees. We eradicated them and made them illegal!? Not so in the U.K. It is everywhere and glorious! I miss the black currant Ribena drink soooooo much.

5.       Socially the English are extremely reserved in comparison to most Americans that I am used to. I have travelled extensively throughout the U.S. and I have never encountered the kind of introversion that I had in the U.K. I embraced it and used it to my advantage. I had to learn how to engage them in conversation and do so successfully. Give them an inch and most would find a way to ignore and move away from me without acknowledging I had said a single thing.



I am an extremely bubbly, smiley, and extroverted person. I say good morning, constantly smile throughout my walks, and I’m fearless when it comes to asking questions, engaging strangers, and making conversation. Even their greetings typically something like “y’alright?” which is used in lieu of “hello”. I found this to be true even in the smaller cities I briefly visited. Once they are comfortably outside their reserve they are just as friendly and open as any cheerful American.



Ireland and Scotland however were the loudest, more outgoing, extroverted, people I have ever met. They were frequently shout at me, engage with me first, and one guy followed me from the Christmas festival (an absolute crush of people) to ask me out and he didn’t even know I was American! I found Scotland especially to be very intimidating.



6.       I travelled to Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. Within London I spent time in York, Blackpool, Oxford, and Birmingham. I recommend not spending all your time in London or even England but you shouldn’t spend all your time travelling. The little I did gave me snippets of their countries but afforded me the opportunity to make a real connection with my host city itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home From Abroad - Reverse Culture Shock

Home. Jetlag, let’s talk about it. Not only was I jetlagged but my schedule was completely backwards. I also feel closer to those I l...